While reading Openness and education: a beginner’s guide, I could not agree with the opinion that ‘Open Education’ is that people come into it from a wide range of backgrounds(Bea,2017) any more. Therefore, for the instructors, it is difficult for them to set specific teaching methods for their students. In the Beginner’s Guide, I noticed that there are more and more tools being applied into the Open Learning, which indicated that the modes and types of E-learning become diversified.

It was reasonable that after Distance education & open learning appeared in 1980, the open education in schools becomes less popular. The coverage of distance education & open learning is wide like administration, economics, communication, course design, etc. It has more complete education system and a wider range of scholars, thus serves a wider range of learners. But I wonder why didn’t E-learning & online education become prominent after it appeared. For E-learning & online education, learners have more flexible schedule and social networking tools. But one of its disadvantages is that it is challenging for learners who are not familiar with using electronic tools or even do not own one. But I still hold a strong believe that E-learning & online education will play a vital role in the teaching mode years later. Meanwhile, the application of Social media, MOOCs is also bright in the future. For me, I intend to apply them into my work in this course because I think these ways of teaching is popular nowadays.

While reading the Teaching Online: A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice, I think it is quite necessary to show learners the schedule and tasks of one course because I believe only in this way, can they learn efficiently, know which steps they are going through and set corresponding goals. From this article, I can feel that the teacher tried her best to give feedbacks to students in time and make all of the students absorb the knowledge to the maximum degree. The teaching plans she made is detailed and comprehensive. But I wonder is it possible to take some measures to let students explore by themselves which is helpful to develop their exploration ability, thinking ability, and problem-solving skills? The tasks of teachers is not only instructing learners how to learn, but also developing their abilities in every aspects.

Resource:

Arcos, B. (2020, July 14). Openness and education: A beginner’s guide: GO-GN. Retrieved July 24, 2020, from http://go-gn.net/research/openness-and-education-a-beginners-guide/

Johns, H. U. P. (2015). Teaching online : A guide to theory, research, and practice. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca